Wolves’ latest signing Patrick Cutrone highlighted the club’s desire to want him after joining in a potential £20m deal from AC Milan.
The 21-year-old striker has signed a four-year deal after passing medical earlier on Tuesday. The fee is £16m with the rest in add-ons. Described as a ‘classic number nine’ and compared to Italian great Filippo Inzaghi, Cutrone becomes the first Italian to join Wolves and currently the fourth most expensive recruit in the club’s history after Raul Jimenez (£32m), Adama Traore (£18m) and Jonny Castro Otto (£18m).
The one-capped Italy international had been told by new Milan coach Marco Giampaolo that his chances of regular football during the coming season would be limited, but the forward admits he feels wanted at Molineux.
“I’m very pleased to be here because the club really wanted me,” said Cutrone. “I’m very happy and want to give my all for the team. The club really wanted me and being able to play in the Premier League for Wolves is fantastic. I just can’t wait to get started.”
Cutrone wll compete for a place with Jimenez and Diogo Jota up front. He added: “I’ve come here to play football. I’ll have to settle in initially and I’m looking forward to heading out on to the pitch to play. You never stop learning and I’m here to learn new things, but I’ll certainly give my all for the team.”
Leaving his only club since the age of nine has been a difficult decision but Cutrone is looking forward to a new chapter in his career and playing in front of the Wolves supporters. “I can say to the fans that I’m very pleased to be here and I can’t wait to play and feel their support,” he said.
Cutrone scored 16 goals in 42 games in his first full season at Milan in 2017-18 and netted nine times in 43 appearances last term. A video compilation of his goals on social media shows him scoring with either foot and his head. The six-footer is renowned for his physical presence, mobility, heading ability and workrate. Toegther for 12 years, AC Milan and Cutrone shared a special bond and the club released a statement following his departure. “AC Milan can confirm the transfer of forward Patrick Cutrone to Wolverhampton Wanderers FC,” it read. ” The forward came through the youth ranks of AC Milan and joined the first team squad in October 2016, making his senior debut for the Rossoneri in May 2017, bringing with him his particular sense of belonging to the club. The club wishes to say a special thank you to Patrick for his passion and commitment during his 12 years with the Rossoneri. A big “good luck” to Patrick for his new professional adventure in the English Premier League.”
Sporting director Kevin Thelwell is thrilled to get his man and is convinced Cutrone is the right fit for Wolves. “Patrick is an exciting signing at a very exciting period for this football club,” he said. “We have a strong philosophy under the leadership of Nuno of bringing in the right type of people and developing young talent while staying humble and grounded as individuals, and we feel Patrick perfectly fits into our philosophy.”
The arrival of Cutrone helps fill the void vacated by the departure of Helder Costa and Ivan Cavaleiro. And, on the back of two summer signings and more to follow, Thelwell is backing Wolves to have another memorable campaign after last season’s seventh-placed finish. “We are very pleased to have a player of Patrick’s ability join the club and look forward to him being a part of Nuno’s squad in another historic season for Wolves,” he added.